Thursday, September 10, 2009

Labor Day, Schlabor Day!


Labor day is such a strange holiday to me, mainly because I didn't know why it was called labor day and why everyone gets a day free of work when logically you would think it was a day dedicated to working even harder. I do appreciate the day off, though, and after a little research I found that labor day is a holiday we copied from (don't tell buddy)--the Canadians. No wonder it's so weird :)Regardless, I love having a day off for labor day, and because it's one of the few days I have off from work, buddy and I decided to take our last summer trip...to the beach! And we didn't go to just any beach---we went to Florida! Can you believe it's only an 8 hour (6.5-7 hr for us) drive to Pensacola Beach, FL? And you'll never guess what we did when we first got there, but here's a little hint:


PARASAILING! It didn't actually cost as much as I thought it would, and I was so proud of buddy for actually being brave enough to come with me this time (not like the catapult ride on our honeymoon--I had to ride it by myself next to a 13-year old boy...):
The beach there was beautiful with snow-white sand and greenish-blue water. The water was warm, too, and though the waves weren't very big we still bought some boogie boards to play around with.

Buddy really wanted to find a whole sand dollar at the beach, but after searching for a couple of hours (it seemed :) ) he could only find half of one. So we built a "sand estate" instead. I dubbed it the Beazer estate, because I wasn't clever
enough to come up with anything else.

True to being in the South, everything can be fried, but this fried bologna sandwich was nothing like I'd seen in Memphis--gross!
We really enjoyed our time in
Pensacola, and I would have more cool pics of buddy to share if he hadn't deleted them all. :(



8 comments:

I'm so glad you have a honeymoon picture with a 13-year-old boy who is not Buddy.
 
that looks like such a fun little trip!!!!
 
Yeah... Beaver has always been a bit of a woose. He was too afraid to go on the Peter Pan ride with me at Disneyland! Not really, but that would be pretty funny.

Looks like you spent your Labor Day in style, way to send off the summer with a bang!
 
I've always wanted to try parasailing! What a fun trip. You are so lucky to live so close to so many things. I don't know about that fried Bologna sandwich. I'll pass.
 
Yeah guys it was a really fun trip. I really want to live close to a beach someday! Parasailing was actually pretty enjoyable even for someone like me who is really scared of heights
 
Oh yum fried bologna, those were the days. I can remember grandma frying bologna. Now that I think of it it is weird but I sure didn't think so when I was a kid. Parasailing is fun when you get over the thought of being so high up. I just tried to look out at the ocean and not right under me. I was actually afraid to move to much and was hoping no strong wind would come up. Mom
 
I don't blame Buddy. I don't want to die by taking unnecessary risks. What if your catapult thing busted and you became a sad little Beazer pancake? Buddy and I would say, "We told you so."

But it looks awesome. Good for you guys!
 
Looks like fun. Wish I was there.