Buddy drove down to Memphis (a 14 hour drive) to finish his last week of classes-a "capstone course" where they update you on recent optometry news that you need to know before you graduate. I flew down with Mason the day before graduation, which was supposed to be an easier trip than Buddy's drive, but it didn't turn out that way. I had to check my overnight bag since I couldn't manage that carry on with an infant, and though my bag DID make it to the Memphis airport with me at the same time we flew in, it left the airport with someone who mistook my bag for theirs and didn't realize it (even with the bright orange name tag on the handle!!). Ironically, this is not the first time someone else has swiped my bag. I spotted the person the first time it happened to me, and I dramatically ran after them to retrieve it--leaping over suitcases and everything. This time my eagle eyes were not as sharp, and my bag left the airport without me. We were planning to go right from the airport to an awards banquet for the school, but without my bag I couldn't change into an acceptable outfit. I don't think jeans and a striped shirt qualify as "business casual." Needless to say, we skipped the banquet. The airport was good to help me retrieve my bag, but I didn't get it back until the morning after graduation (the day I flew back), so thank you to Haylee for lending me the cute dress to wear to graduation, and to Micaela for lending us some clothes for Mason. Also, we're so grateful for the Northgraves for letting us stay at their house and for all of the supplies they provided since I didn't have my bag. What a mess we were!
It felt like home being back in Memphis, and we were sad to have to say goodbye for real to all our friends. We will miss you!!
The graduation ceremony was pretty good-luckily didn't last as long as the white coat ceremony four years ago-and I even teared up when we all applauded the graduates at the end.
The graduating class of 2012!
Buddy's in the top row, second from the left.
The sun was at just the right angle for picture taking...
Buddy with the other LDS students. SCO recruits pretty heavily from BYU, BYU-I and Utah, so there 15 LDS students in his class out of the 120-or so students.
With the Johnsons--our best friends! Miss you guys already!
Now we can relax. For two weeks. Then we will drive 38 hours to Canada to visit Buddy's family for a month, then drive back to begin our new phase of life in...State College, PA! Who knew I'd be moving back home? I sure didn't. It will be fun to live near Nana and Pop Pop (live WITH them for a few months, even), but we will still be looking to relocate to the Pacific Northwest sometime soon in the future. It's hard to move on and not really be settling for good, but we felt like this job in Burnham was the best choice for our family at this time, permanent or not. We are SO excited to finally be making some money! Here's to years of paying off student loans!!

6 comments:
I thought about you yesterday as I folded 50 programs for Sacrament meeting. I creased each and every one of them!
cannot believe your bag got swiped- crazy! well congrats again! we miss you guys
Post a Comment