Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lately




I can't think of creative and witty posts to make, so I'll just update you all (whoever reads this...maybe it's just me ;) ) on what we've been up to lately:

We went to Buddy's convocation at SCO (Southern College of Optometry) at the end of September, and it seemed really silly to me that we had to sit for 3 1/2 hours to listen to awards/etc.. and to witness the 1st years receive their white coat (the lab coat that they'll use for the time they are here).  It seemed like a graduation ceremony, and they even played "that music" that they play when graduates walk down the aisle.  It was like graduation, but backwards since they're just beginning school.  For, me, it was a bit odd.  But, good for them, they got their sweet eye doctor coats, and in four years we'll have to go through the same thing again.  Is this confusing? Good, 'cause it confused me, too, and I wanted to share my pain :)  They had a famous blind man speak to them (I can't remember his name right now), and I think everyone was inspired by it but me.  I feel bad, but he talked for an hour and a half, and my attention span just doesn't last that long.  Plus, once I've become bored I cease to find the good things out of speeches and immediately start finding the annoying things: so I can justify why it is that the speaker should stop.  Not that I thought he should stop, I just think some of the things he shared weren't really applicable.  I guess he was trying to inspire young optometry students to rid the world of blindness, but I thought he probably could have done it without the 80's music and the cheesy lyrics.  Buddy said I'm too cynical.  And that's probably true.  I hope other people are much better than me.  But I'm ranting.

Moving on:

We went to the famous "Beale Street":  Home of the Blues.  It was semi-interesting, but it's hard for a bunch of Mormons to walk down a street lined with bars and think it was a good time.  At least we can say that we went there :)  There was some cool live music going, but any time we stopped to listen, someone would inevitably walk by with a money bucket and expect us to pay.  But I guess they have to earn money somehow, too.  The picture with Buddy sticking his finger in my ear is supposed to be funny because the bar is called "Wet Willie's".  Too bad it didn't turn out...We rode the Downtown trolley on the way back, and buddy made friends with a homeless guy that said we must be rich because I laugh too much.  Little did he know, we're just happy poor people!  :)  And for some reason, buddy can't keep his eyes open while on the trolley.  Maybe he's just not very photogenic....haha, I hope he reads this.

2 comments:

haha! Your post made me laugh! :) why? I don't really know... lol.. but I think it's because I miss you guys and you're a funny post-writer! now you know you are not the only one who reads this. Keep it up!
 
I laughed at your post too! Mainly because I could actually hear in my head how you were saying everything.