Sunday, November 23, 2008

Saturday road trip!

Oh...we love the forest so much!!!
me trying to do something cool with the dark wet vine-thing...i just ended up looking scared
soo pretty :)  And the people here say they don't get good fall colors...

Look!  It's the wild turkey!!!  (or peacock...looks more like a turkey to me, though)


This is buddy's favorite picture of himself.  He's probably singing... We'll see how long he lets me have this picture on the blog.  You'll be lucky if you even see it.

This past Saturday was one of the first Saturdays in a while that Buddy has not been trying to study all day.  I love that he studies so much, but that leaves me to entertain myself.  And since I grew up as a middle child always having someone around to entertain me, I don't do it very well myself.  I'd usually watch tv online, but lately all my favorite shows have introduced lesbian relationships, and I just don't think that's cool.  Pushing Daisies is the only one to survive so far (and Psych, but that doesn't count since it's not airing right now.....), but ABC is threatening to cancel it, so I'm left with nothing :( .  Whoops, I've gone off on a tangent.  Ahem, WELL, yesterday Buddy didn't have to study so we were able to plan a little trip to the Mississippi River through the Shelby Forest.  It's getting cold enough out here that I finally get to wear a hoodie, but that also means that the leaves on the trees are becoming browner (is that even a word?) and sparse.  We thought this drive through the forest would be kind of ugly and gloomy, but boy were we wrong!  It was beautiful, and Buddy mentioned that he loved it and was so impressed because he had never really seen a forest before that wasn't mostly pine trees! (silly Canadian boy...)  I tried taking pictures while we were driving down this crazy narrow and twisted road through the forest, and I think the pictures turned out pretty well!  We never really found the river 'cause we kinda got lost in the forest, but it's okay, 'cause we decided to just take pictures with the trees :)  We even saw a wild turkey, and though I forgot to call out to him with my well practiced turkey call (courtesy of all those trips to my second home, the turkey farm :) ) I think my dad would be proud that we found one!  Unless he sees this and says it's not a turkey, but really a peacock, in which case...oops (we couldn't really tell for sure...).  Anyway, it was a fun Saturday, and I can't wait for when Buddy's out of school and we can have more Saturday's like this!



2 comments:

Looks Pretty! I would love to hear that wild turkey call sometime!!!I do a pretty good one too (You wouldn't guess it, but we had huge flocks of wild turkeys in Hawaii when we lived higher up). Mine includes holding the skin under my neck and wiggling it around! :P Ok, now I'm just embarrassed. Miss you guys!
 
I would have to say that I definitely don't think that it is possibly a peacock. Where would the long tail feathers be??