Well, here's my last pregnancy picture: It was taken on Sunday, May 16th at 36 weeks, when I thought I had a good 4 weeks to go!
On wednesday morning I was getting ready for work, just eating my cereal and sitting on the couch, when it felt like I peed my pants a little. But only a little. I didn't think my water had broken, because that's supposed to feel like a gush of water, and mine was just a trickle, I thought. I called mom to ask her what it was supposed to be like to have your water break, and immediately she said "Oh, no, Bebs, I'm not ready!" :) I told her I wasn't sure, though, and still had to talk to my Dr. about it. I called the Dr. office later that morning, and she wasn't there, but the nurse said that if I felt anything else come out, I was to go to the ER right away. Nothing else happened on Wednesday, but I had my check up appointment the next afternoon, so I headed to the Dr.'s office at 1:30. My appointment went normally (they are just quick 10 minute appointments, pretty much), and the Dr was about finish up the exam and send me on my way when I said "Did the nurse tell you that I thought my water broke yesterday?" And Dr. Sharma said, "No! What happened?" I told her, and she sent me downstairs right away to get an ultrasound to make sure I hadn't lost too much amniotic fluid. I had the ultrasound downstairs (this whole time I'm thinking that everything will be fine and that nothing else was going to happen), and the tech said I had lost a little, but I should just drink lots of water to replenish my fluid. I left the ultrasound place then, and was headed home in the car when Dr. Sharma called and told me I needed to come back to the ER right away. She had just seen the results of the ultrasound herself, and said I needed to be checked, and that it was very likely that I'd be induced that night! Ahhh! I asked if I could go home and get a few things (I still hadn't packed a hospital bag or anything!) and she said no, I had to come right away. And I couldn't even go pick up buddy first! He'd have to find a ride from the school. I went to the ER, and in the back of my mind I was still hoping I could just go home once they saw that I wasn't in labor or anything. However, they said that I wasn't going home that night--I was going to have a baby that night! Ahhhh again!
They started inducing me at 7:00 (the very time that my baby shower was to start--too bad they'd miss their guest of honor...) and I got an epidural at about 9:00 thinking things would progress pretty fast. The epidural was very effective: other than some uncomfortable contractions before the medicine kicked in--I didn't feel any pain at all the whole time. However, baby Chase definitely took his time to come, and about halfway through the labor it looked like he had changed his mind and started moving back INTO me instead of coming out. I was declared then as in "defective labor" and they told me that if I didn't dilate to a seven (you start pushing at a ten) before noon, I would have to get a c-section (because they were worried about infection since my water broke so long ago). At noon I had dilated to a 5, but that was it. My doctor was determined to deliver me without a c-section, though, and so she stretched me to a six, and chase was born within the next two hours. Yes, I was in labor a long time, but I couldn't feel anything, so I just slept most of the time. Sixteen hours after I was induced, Chase was born! (I only had to push for about 10 minutes). They took him away because he was having a hard time breathing, but after being monitored for 9 more hours, I finally had him in my arms!
Here he is!! Chase Roderick Beazer, born on May 21st, 2010 at 1:41pm. He weighed 5 lbs 12 oz and was 19 1/2 in long. A tall skinny boy!
Here's Buddy with baby Chase--it's pretty obvious he wasn't the one doing all the hard work :) He did stay the night at the hospital with me, though, and was a such good supporter/coach when I was in pain, and when I had to push. Yay for Buddy!
This pic was taken when when Chase was finally reunited with us after 9 hours under observation in the well baby nursery and NICU. He had some trouble breathing when he first came out, so they had to monitor him and make sure everything was okay. He's just fine now, which is pretty impressive considering that he was 3 1/2 weeks early. Yay for Chase!
The minute I learned I was going to be induced for sure (once I was already in the ER--at about 4:45 pm), I let my parents know, and they immediately packed up and started driving from Pennsylvania to here. A 15 hour drive! Yay for Mom, Dad, and Randy! Dad and Randy could only stay til sunday night (and I won't see Randy again for 2 years :( ...he's leaving in July to serve a mission in Birmingham, England for our church ), but my mom will be here for about a week and a half. I can see already how much I need the extra help, and I'm so glad she's here to calm me down when I think I am doing everything wrong!
This is Chase at 3 days old! He sleeps a lot, but never enough at a time, it seems, for me to get some good rest! Ah, such is the life of a mother. I probably won't ever get as much sleep as I used to, but of course it's totally worth it.
Thanks to everyone for the texts, calls, emails, and gifts! We're so grateful to have so many friends that care about us at such a significant time in our lives. Special thanks goes to Haylee and Candice for throwing me a baby shower, even though I couldn't be there. Thanks for going on without me! I didn't want you guys to waste all that food and planning! Speaking of the baby shower, there were two gifts that I could not see who they were from: a bag filled with newborn diapers (with monkeys on them--which is perfect for Chase since he kinda looks like a little monkey with his long, skinny arms, legs, and toes :) ), and a three piece church outfit (that I'm super excited about! As soon as he fits it, he'll be sportin' it!). To the people who gave them to me: fess up! :) Let me know, so I can whisper to Chase who his favorite people should be. Thanks to those who attended the shower and were surprised that I wasn't there! I love all the gifts, and I can't wait to use everything!
Now that he's here, there's only one more big thing to do: MOVE! I hope we can get everything done before this saturday. We're set to sign our contract, and move into our new apartment at 10am Saturday morning. Wish us luck!

16 comments:
If you had the baby here Millie could have been Chase's NICU nurse.
He is SO adorable! Way to make a cute baby!!!
So for the two gifts, I'm almost positive the church outfit was from Rebecca Sawyer and the diapers were from Shauna Taylor (were they the ones that were in a package or were they just loose... cause if they were loose, it was from Shauna.)
We were sad not to have you there, but of course we were all excited that you were having your little man... I'll send you pics soon too.
Post a Comment